Auto Image Window & Co-author

GoLive Actions and Extensions - support, comments and suggestions.

Auto Image Window & Co-author

Postby fiveshorts » 01/22/2008 @ 13:45

Hi Nate.

I understand you're not offering direct support for your GL actions — sorry it's not profitable and thanksomuch for making them available anyway :D

Could you or anyone here just let me know if it's possible to have the Auto Image action decide the image to throw into the designated popup, without having to specify it in the "Load image:" field? the reason being, I'm trying to make the action work with Co-author... It's one thing to use the Auto Image action to call up a popup and put the defined image onto the page — you've made that easy, thanks.
But if my CLIENT is determining the content of an image container, via co-author, and publishing the results as stories in a section, can I make it so the resulting popup will always show HIS image?

many thanks for any help you could give me...

GoLive CS2
Mac
fiveshorts

Re: Auto Image Window & Co-author

Postby Nate Baldwin » 01/22/2008 @ 14:02

It's usually hard to get the action code to play nice with server-side code. One less than perfect option would be to set the image name in the Actions palette, then have the client upload new images, but keep the same name and size. But that doesn't give much flexibility... Anyway, I'm sure it can be done, but I really have no idea of what Co-author is capable of or if it can even work with action code (I'm thinking no). Sorry to not be more helpful, but when I'm mixing JavaScript with server coding, I've pretty much always had to code it myself.
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby fiveshorts » 01/22/2008 @ 14:18

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Sadly I have no coding skills — I'm a designer trying to squeeze the max out of the actions and snippets that good souls like yourself provide... :(

Anyway, thanks.
fiveshorts

Postby fiveshorts » 01/22/2008 @ 16:31

Nate Baldwin wrote: when I'm mixing JavaScript with server coding, I've pretty much always had to code it myself.

Can I buy your services to code this functionality for me?
The site I'm building is for a designer/artist who has literally hundreds of images he needs to post as his portfolio. Here's an embryonic example of one category page:

http://site6.apollohosting.com/nevillepage.com/httpdocs/portfolio/sections/animals.html

This image gallery needs to be updated regularly, so I'm handing the editing work over to him via Co-author. It's working fine, but, as you say, there's no way to make the 'open a bigger version of this thumbnail in a new window' functionality without me getting in there and creating hundreds of full-size pages and retrofitting links to them into the sections he's made... and thus breaking the remote editing chain.

Knowing next to nothing about JavaScript, is this achievable?

Thanks for your patience :)
fiveshorts

Postby Nate Baldwin » 01/22/2008 @ 17:03

I'd be happy to help, but I'll admit that I'm pretty backed up right now. If you want, send me over as much detail as you can for what kind of system you're wanting built, and a timeline, and I'll check it over and get back to you as soon as I can:
http://www.mindpalette.com/contact
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby fiveshorts » 01/22/2008 @ 18:35

Nate Baldwin wrote:I'd be happy to help, but I'll admit that I'm pretty backed up right now. If you want, send me over as much detail as you can for what kind of system you're wanting built, and a timeline, and I'll check it over and get back to you as soon as I can:
http://www.mindpalette.com/contact

Thanks Nate. I'll write up a little brief and get it to you.
fiveshorts

Return to GoLive Actions and Tutorials