Captcha not processing correctly

NateMail, ProcessForm, JavaScript Form Validator, Form Security, etc.

Captcha not processing correctly

Postby snip » 03/23/2009 @ 20:55

I have installed a form ( viewable at a test site: http://www.h2only.ca/2009/forms/formtemplate.php )... it's not working. I enter the correct captcha data, but nonetheless get the standard 'incorrect data' response... every time.

Note: this form also has JS field validation enabled... not sure if there are disruptive issues between the two mindpalette scripts or what, but I could sure use some help here....
snip

Re: Captcha not processing correctly

Postby Nate Baldwin » 03/24/2009 @ 10:55

On first glance, I don't have much to suggest - didn't notice any problems in the setup. So, to do some trial-and-error, what happens if you remove all the other JavaScript from the page (the clear defaults script and the jQuery validation)? If it works after that, it would help to narrow things down. Either way, can you post back with an updated link?
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby snip » 03/25/2009 @ 17:09

Hello again, Nate, and sorry for the delayed response: yesterday was a zoo.

I have sent you two html form files: one works and one does not, and I have no idea what is different between them... they call the same config files, and to the best of my knowledge are identical in all but formfields.

By "works" above I mean that one will indeed submit the form if the captcha is infilled correctly, but the other will not. In fact, in the 'newclient' form I sent you, the fact that the captcha is not working seems to be negating the "required" script altogether... it goes straight to the captch reject, and ignores any errors in the required fields.

I hope you can see what is eluding me here...
snip

Postby Nate Baldwin » 03/25/2009 @ 19:24

I think I see what's going on - the file you sent that's going through OK is likely doing so because of a different error though. The name entered for the form (used by the JavaScript check) doesn't match the actual name in the form tag ("test1" vs "contact").

That aside, it looks like the JavaScript is checking against an all lowercase version of the security code for whatever reason. If you turn off the case sensitivity in the captcha settings, then test, does it work OK? If so, post back and that'll confirm the problem (and I'll see about releasing a patch).
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby snip » 03/25/2009 @ 19:36

Interesting.

The form indeed allows for the captcha to be processed effectively (error only with an incorrect infill of the captcha field), but now the other scripts are not working: "required" is ignored, and the 'MPClearAll()' function doesn't work (the JS-set values are sent if they are not replaced)

Better, tho... heading in the right direction! ;-)
snip

Postby snip » 03/25/2009 @ 19:39

BTW... sorry I missed commenting with last post: the form-name issue is a non-issue, as the naming was corrected after I sent those samples to you. Oops, tho. Better set some more vars instead of hard-coding ;-)
snip

Postby snip » 03/25/2009 @ 19:53

(error only with an incorrect infill of the captcha field)

Just to be clear: not an actual functional error... the captcha throws the appropriate 'you got it wrong' error message
snip

Postby Nate Baldwin » 03/26/2009 @ 08:25

now the other scripts are not working: "required" is ignored, and the 'MPClearAll()' function doesn't work (the JS-set values are sent if they are not replaced)

Changing the case-sensitivity of the captcha check _shouldn't_ make any difference to the other scripts. If they're not working now, please post an updated link to your form page so I can see what it's doing now?
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby snip » 03/26/2009 @ 17:30

I know... seems VERY odd to me as well. I am sure I am doing something fundamentally wrong here, but no idea what it might be.

It wasn't trivial (lots of references need updating... I have a suggestion on that for a future script, Nate), but here ya go:

URL to the form that now operates the captcha but none of the other scripts:
http://www.h2only.ca/2009/forms/newclient.html

A .zip archive of the above form and it's script calls (not formatted, and missing a number of page-build includes):
http://www.h2only.ca/2009/forms/formarchive.zip

(note to future readers: the above URLs are quite temporary... likely not available a few days or at most weeks from the writing of this post)
snip

Return to Form Processing (NateMail, ProcessForm)