2 Breadcrumps questions

MindPalette tutorials and scripts

2 Breadcrumps questions

Postby Jesper Møller » 11/01/2005 @ 20:52

Im trying to setup breadcrumbs, using you tutorial.
But there is something wrong with the script (Ore maby its me doing somthing wrong :oops: )

the text name for home page link is being inserted into the link :?:
so that
Code: Select all
http://www.jart.dk/jgom/donweb/folder1/folder2/folder3/index.html 

becomes
Code: Select all
http://www.jart.dk/DeadHtml/jgom/donweb/folder1/folder2/folder3/index.html 

and then the links dont work :cry:

http://www.jart.dk/jgom/donweb/folder1/ ... index.html

---

how do i get the script to start the breadcumbs trail at eg donweb/folder1/folder2/folder3/index.html
donweb/index.html being the homepage

Jesper
Jesper Møller

Postby sjmdesigns » 02/27/2006 @ 11:53

I myself am having the same problem. Tried to troubleshoot this script the best I know how to no avail.

Nate, any solutions?

Thanks.
Last edited by sjmdesigns on 03/08/2006 @ 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
sjmdesigns

Postby sjmdesigns » 02/27/2006 @ 12:08

It seems even in Nate's example you get an error as well. Try clicking on the breadscrump links.

(Here's the page link: http://www.mindpalette.com/tutorials/br ... /index.php)

I am sure nate will help us out on this one.

Thanks.
Last edited by sjmdesigns on 03/08/2006 @ 20:23, edited 2 times in total.
sjmdesigns

Postby Nate Baldwin » 02/27/2006 @ 14:35

Thanks - I'll try to find time to check things out this evening. If not, I'll pull the script from the site until I'm able to fix it.
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby sjmdesigns » 02/27/2006 @ 20:40

Nate Baldwin wrote:Thanks - I'll try to find time to check things out this evening. If not, I'll pull the script from the site until I'm able to fix it.

Thanks Nate, Much Appreciate it. By the way, I have Searched the net for Bread Crumb scripts and I have found your sto be more "manageable" so while I found a substitute script, it's not your script, which I would prefer. Thanks for looking into it.
Last edited by sjmdesigns on 03/08/2006 @ 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
sjmdesigns

Postby sjmdesigns » 02/27/2006 @ 20:49

Also, it seems like Nates "PHP" version is working fine.

http://www.mindpalette.com/tutorials/br ... /index.php (Click any of the "trail" links and they work great)

So it seems it's just the Javascript version that seems to have the trouble. Just thought I would bring that to the attention of this thread.
Last edited by sjmdesigns on 03/08/2006 @ 20:24, edited 2 times in total.
sjmdesigns

Postby Nate Baldwin » 02/28/2006 @ 00:02

Are you building your page in GoLive, or another app like Dreamweaver? If GoLive, I had an action made a while ago that would do the breadcrumb trail, if that helps. Otherwise, looks like it'll be 1 or 2 tonight before I get off work, so I'll probably not get into it, but I'll make a hearty effort to try tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby sjmdesigns » 02/28/2006 @ 07:59

Nate Baldwin wrote:Are you building your page in GoLive, or another app like Dreamweaver? If GoLive, I had an action made a while ago that would do the breadcrumb trail, if that helps. Otherwise, looks like it'll be 1 or 2 tonight before I get off work, so I'll probably not get into it, but I'll make a hearty effort to try tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Nate,

I'm building in GoLive CS2. If you have an action that does the same thing, then I am all for that. I am not using PHP pages. I build on a G5, but our servers are windows and we use asp as our extensions.

Thanks.
Last edited by sjmdesigns on 03/08/2006 @ 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
sjmdesigns

Postby sjmdesigns » 02/28/2006 @ 08:04

Nate Baldwin wrote:If GoLive, I had an action made a while ago that would do the breadcrumb trail, if that helps.

I scanned your GoLive actions (pretty much have all your actions by the way, which are great), but I didn't see anything that was referencing a "Breadcrumb" script.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Is this action a comercial action or a freebie? If commercial, let me know how much.

Thanks Nate.
Last edited by sjmdesigns on 03/08/2006 @ 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
sjmdesigns

Postby Nate Baldwin » 02/28/2006 @ 10:48

It's not in the list yet - I haven't really built a manual PDF, icons, example pages and all that yet. It'll be commercial, but if you want to be the guinae pig, you're welcome to a free copy. But let me make sure that's all working OK today and I'll post back with a download/instructions link.
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby sjmdesigns » 02/28/2006 @ 13:05

Nate Baldwin wrote:It's not in the list yet - I haven't really built a manual PDF, icons, example pages and all that yet. It'll be commercial, but if you want to be the guinae pig, you're welcome to a free copy. But let me make sure that's all working OK today and I'll post back with a download/instructions link.

Post it, I'll try it out for you.

Hopefully you'll give me a free copy when the final is done. But I'll still pay. I bet it won't be that much anyway. Plus, I like your tools, worth supporting.

Thanks Nate.

Let me know. My email is attached to my profile.
sjmdesigns

Postby sjmdesigns » 02/28/2006 @ 13:12

By the way Nate,

I used some of your scripts for this website I helped developed. I am the Art Director, and I was part of a team of 6 developers. My part was the design work.

http://www.theenzymediet.com/introduction.asp

The parts that I used your scripts was the recipe sections. I recall it was the "Detect Image" & "Detect Title" scripts.

This web site also is very much "intune" with the print campaign, and it's one of those projects that everything seemed to fit well, look and feel, message, etc. It was challenging and fun all at the same time.

Anyway, thought I would show off a little of my work.

let me know about that script. Thanks.
sjmdesigns

Postby sjmdesigns » 03/04/2006 @ 01:25

Nate?

Any news of fixing thst BreadCrunb javascript from your tutorials?

How about the Golive action one you mentioned?

Thanks,
sjmdesigns

Postby Nate Baldwin » 03/07/2006 @ 12:44

I just fixed the tutorial and script download page here...
http://www.mindpalette.com/tutorials/br ... /index.php

Actually, completely re-wrote the thing. I have the scripting written for the GoLive action, but need to build the action interface and PDF manual. It'll add a few more options, but the script tutorial above might get you by in the meantime?
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby Nate Baldwin » 03/07/2006 @ 16:08

OK, also just posted the GoLive Action test page (with download link and instructions)...
http://www.mindpalette.com/actions/nate ... ack_links/
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby sjmdesigns » 03/07/2006 @ 17:46

Nate Baldwin wrote:OK, also just posted the GoLive Action test page (with download link and instructions)...

Nate,

Fantastic. Both seem to working great. Here's a link to the GoLive Action Version on a Site that I maintain:

http://www.ecoquestintl.com/Success-Ins ... x_home.asp

I plan on updating the entire site to that script. Right now, I am using that other script that I found.

Thanks for your time, effort and attention in solving this. Let me know when the Back Links GL Action is final. I'll pony up the bread.

Steve
sjmdesigns

Postby Nate Baldwin » 03/07/2006 @ 22:39

Thanks for your time, effort and attention in solving this. Let me know when the Back Links GL Action is final. I'll pony up the bread.

No need, just let me know if anything needs fixed in the action. If I make any changes, I'll let you know here (and send you a free updated copy), otherwise it's likely that the "real" version is the same as the beta. Thanks for trying it out.
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby sjmdesigns » 03/08/2006 @ 10:24

Nate Baldwin wrote:

No need, just let me know if anything needs fixed in the action. If I make any changes, I'll let you know here (and send you a free updated copy), otherwise it's likely that the "real" version is the same as the beta. Thanks for trying it out.

Your welcome.

Just wanted to quickly say that your site, scripts, and tutorials and your customer support is indeed some of the best I have experienced.

Thanks.
Last edited by sjmdesigns on 03/08/2006 @ 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
sjmdesigns

Postby Nate Baldwin » 03/08/2006 @ 13:49

Just posted a new version with some fixes/changes. If you've downloaded it already, you'll probably want to get the latest version. I'll leave the BETA copy up for a while, but the .action file is probably the same one that will go public/commercial if you want to snag a free copy before that happens...

I added the action (well, actually the JavaScript version) to the mindpalette site under the top menu as an example (won't show up on the home page since there's no back-links from there).
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby sjmdesigns » 03/08/2006 @ 20:05

Nate Baldwin wrote:Thanks :-)

Just posted a new version with some fixes/changes. If you've downloaded it already, you'll probably want to get the latest version. I'll leave the BETA copy up for a while, but the .action file is probably the same one that will go public/commercial if you want to snag a free copy before that happens...

I added the action (well, actually the JavaScript version) to the mindpalette site under the top menu as an example (won't show up on the home page since there's no back-links from there).

I went back to the link you posted above (qouted text) and notice it had a created date of about 1:30 PM today (3.8.06) and the one I downloaded yesterday had an older creation date, so I assume I got the most updated GL Action.

Thanks Nate for the "free pass" on the GL action, plus the fact that I'll be using the Javascript and PHP version for other environments.

:-)

By the way, on another subject (an this off topic to this thread) but I just got to ask you your thoughts on this.

I'm a very visual designer, and the reason I use Golive a lot (and it's scripts) is because of my "visual nature" to design.

But I must to say, I get a lot of "flack" for using GoLive from others in my workplace, now and in the past. However, what makes me scratch my head is that Golive allows me to develop sites, fast, accurate, and completely as far as the "front-end" goes. I have yet to have any major trouble with the code it generates (after version 6 of course), and I find I have a great development evironment using this tool. I really feel I have total control of the code, and I can be consistent in the way I design, which makes the development fast, and efficient.

I've been a GoLive user ever since version 4. I started with Dreamweaver 3. But once I got in front of GoLive, I got hooked on it.

I guess my question is, I'm putting out very decent visual and easy to navigate sites, getting excellent feedback from clients, and from some IT guys, but other "coders" just give me hell for using this tool. They seem to accept DW however, which is just another WYSIWYG editor. I feel I always have to justify the choice of using it.

Why is GoLive so unaccepted? (at least in my corner of the world it is anyway)

Anyway, I just thought I would asked the question. I love the tool, the control, etc. You being into the tool yourself, it's rare to find others who are so into it, and using it to the level that you do.

Feel free to email your response as to not waste the time on an off topic subject in this thread. (although I think I just violated that, huh? :-) )

Thanks.
sjmdesigns

Postby Nate Baldwin » 03/08/2006 @ 23:34

Why is GoLive so unaccepted? (at least in my corner of the world it is anyway)

Well, my theory is this. You can build a very nice site or a very bad site in just about any HTML editor. GoLive's code is just as clean and valid as what's output by Dreamweaver. But both tools are professional level tools that require some knowledge by the user, and GoLive is more widely used by people who are designers and less aware of the source code. That being the case, it's probable that there are more "badly coded" GoLive sites than Dreamweaver sites, not because it's an inferior tool, but because of the user base.

I personally spend about 80% of my GoLive time in source code view writing PHP, JavaScript or CSS. I like GoLive's source code editor and site asset management better than anything else out there. Why more developers and scripters don't take the time to learn what GoLive can offer is beyond me, but I assume most criticism is a result of not being familiar with the program.
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby sjmdesigns » 03/09/2006 @ 08:16

Nate Baldwin wrote:I like GoLive's source code editor and site asset management better than anything else out there. Why more developers and scripters don't take the time to learn what GoLive can offer is beyond me, but I assume most criticism is a result of not being familiar with the program.

The very reason I switched to GL from DW was the site management tools. It's amazing how much time I save being about to have a tool that manages my pages, scripts, etc.

Thanks for your comments.
sjmdesigns

Postby jedifunk » 08/28/2006 @ 09:49

wondering if there was/is a final non-beta of this action?

or if there are any updates to it... i've just downloaded it and am having trouble getting it to work at all...

do i need to DL and install the MPBacklinks.js file?

any guidance is appreciated.
jedifunk

Postby jedifunk » 08/28/2006 @ 10:18

so i can't get this to work locally or once uploaded to the server...

i'm using golive cs2, i've flattened & uploaded the javascript, followed the instructions here:

i've also restarted golive....

again, it doesnt show up anywhere when viewing... any help is greatly appreciated
jedifunk

Postby jedifunk » 08/28/2006 @ 10:36

ok, sorry, i simply had to clear the cache of the browser...

but now the top directory points to the index page of the entire site. i'm trying to get it to point to a subdirectory.

again, i've flattened, reuploaded everything. where should the CSScriptlb.js file be located? on the root, or in the subdirectory where i'm using the action?

--
also, is there a way to control the names of each "crumb" better? all our product pages use their item number code for the page name (ie: d12310.html) and i'd rather have something else displayed.

thanks again
jedifunk

Next

Return to Tutorials and Scripts