Dreamweaver or GoLive? All inclusive resources?

Posts from the previous support forum

Dreamweaver or GoLive? All inclusive resources?

Postby daniel_user » 10/20/2006 @ 12:04

Bear with me as I give some background to a couple of loaded questions... I would really really appreciate your feedback.

I am likely going to purchase Adobe's latest Creative Suite, which includes Dreamweaver and GoLive. I plan to start a web developing business and need to learn to make websites! I would like to know which program I should use. Each one is going to take some learning, but which would I be better off tackling? I primarily design graphics, so the WYSIWYG format in GoLive is very appealing (my preference), so would GoLive have all the capabilities that a small business might want a web developer to create? I have heard that Dreamweaver is much more powerful, so would I be better off learning this program, and would it take a lot more time to master in comparison to GoLive? Basically, which program should I invest my time in? Would you be so kind and explain exactly why you prefer this program?

I am also wondering what I need to learn to begin a successful web development business. I don't know HTML or CSS so I'm sure that's the place to begin... But I'm hoping to learn those languages AND all the while learn how to specifically apply the languages in my specific program. In other words, it would be great if I could learn HTML/CSS and GoLive or Dreamweaver all in one place (i.e. in one book). I know that HTML/CSS knowledge is necessary to be successful and I'm willing to take some time to learn the basics, but I also want to utilize the shortcuts in these advanced programs (I can't afford to use my time learning certain HTML/CSS and then find out later that that knowledge wasn't actually necessary). So, depending on what program you suggested above, what would be a good all-inclusive resource that I could use (if such a resource even exists outside of a degree plan)?

Finally, any thoughts/suggestions you have about the web development industry that might be useful for an entrepreneur to consider? Thanks!
daniel_user

Postby Nate Baldwin » 10/20/2006 @ 12:43

Hi.
Would you be so kind and explain exactly why you prefer this program?

Why I prefer to use GoLive? I spend most of my time in source code view these days, and I like GoLive's source code editor best (particularly for PHP and JavaScript). Also, I like GoLive's CSS editor for working with CSS. In my opinion, Dreamweaver's CSS palette isn't much easier/faster than just typing out the CSS code. Generally speaking, I like the way GoLive manages all the files in a site also.

I think you're on the right track though. Get a basic knowledge of HTML and CSS first. Then, pick up either Dreamweaver or GoLive - whichever interface you prefer. From there, you can eventually become more comfortable with HTML and CSS to where picking up the other editor is fairly easy. Once you're familiar with GoLive or Dreamweaver, you at least know what kind of features and tools to look for, they're just usually in a different place.

Dynamic sites can be a deciding factor though. Dreamweaver offers tools for working with dynamic sites (for instance, PHP and a MySQL database) to where you wouldn't have to write the actual code. If you need a quick dynamic solution, Dreamweaver might be the way to go, and more and more sites require some kind of database + server script solution these days. For me, I'm already familiar with PHP and MySQL, so I just write all my own code and GoLive suits me just fine.

Also, if you think you'll be looking for employment or planning to work with a team of other web designers, there are a lot more people using Dreamweaver than GoLive.

To keep myself from being overly dependent on a certain editor, I try to avoid proprietary features in any of them when possible and I usually force myself to use more than one tool. For instance, I work on most of my sites in GoLive. But I keep a handful in Dreamweaver and even do some entirely with BBEdit just to force myself to use the source code.
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby Dave Green » 11/01/2006 @ 18:45

Hi Daniel,

I have only been doing web site construction for approx 1 year and already have quite a few customers so it is possible to get up and runnning quite quickly.
My first introduction to web design was to actually purchase a html book so I understood the building blocks.
Because you come from a graphic design background you will like GoLive's ability to use "smart objects", meaning you can bring PSD, PDF, EPS files in an modfiy them for web, which I find extremely handy and Dream Weaver does not have that ability.
However like Nate said DreamWeaver has the advantage when it comes to dynamic sites.
I went to an Adobe seminar the other day and cornered the speech presenter on web development and asked his opinion on the different apps.
He advised that he uses both Dreamweaver and Golive and that the rumours that Golive will be put out to pasture is exactly that, just rumours (time will tell).
One thing that I found handy and still do with regards to coding is having both the layout page and source page open in Golive, then when you do something at the layout level you can see what happens at the source code level.
I am just about to upgrade to the latest Adobe CS so that I can have both DreamWeaver and GoLive as I think there is a strong need for me to have both.( just got to convince the accountant (wife)).

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Dave
Dave Green

Thanks for you responses

Postby daniel_user » 11/01/2006 @ 23:48

Evening guys,

Thanks for your responses. Dave, that's encouraging that you were able to find clients in a short amount of time. I would love to hear the methods you used to find them (or how they found you). Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

In other news, I found a great programmer willing to partner with me, so that was really good news for me. Still waiting on purchasing the software, but it's looking more and more like it's going to happen (I'm in the same boat as you Dave, have to convince the wife!). I bought a Pocket PC to help with business correspondence though, what a fun toy!

Take care,

-Daniel
daniel_user

Postby Dave Green » 11/02/2006 @ 06:46

Hey Daniel,

Well I started out as an IT Manager for a large Advertsing company and I started out because no one else in the company knew anything about web design / construction, so the creatives brought the basic designs to me and I learnt from there.
My wife is a Graphic Designer and has a small successful business on her own, dealing mainly in print media. So after I learnt enough to be able to build sites I quit my job and we started to offer web designs to her clients. My biggest learning curve was offering to build a 50 page web site for a mate for FREE, obviously he jumped at it and I learnt lots. Having said that there is still so much to learn.
I think that you have definitely taken the right descision to join up with a programmer if your strengths are as a designer, but don't let that stop you from learning code. If there is any advice I can offer you and that is be honest with your potential clients, if you are unsure how to do something tell them but that you will research it and try and find a solution. Most of our new business now has been word of mouth and we have not had to advertise as yet.
Good luck with your new venture

cheers,

Dave.
Dave Green

Return to Archives