How come open pop up won't work?

GoLive Actions and Extensions - support, comments and suggestions.

How come open pop up won't work?

Postby cody » 03/05/2007 @ 23:57

Ok, I am having one heck of a time getting open pop up 2 to work. I have been at it for about three hours. I have followed the instructions to the letter several times, and I have read the FAQ's.

I have a thumbnail image on a page. I want the image to pop up in another window in it's larger size when you click on it. Sounds simple enough...

The page in question is http://www.4humphreys.com/family.html When you click on the image, nothing happens. After downloading and installing Open Pop Up and going through all of the instructions, when you look at the address bar at the bottom of the page, it looks it wants to take you to http://www.4humphreys.com/family.html#

In the FAQ, it looks like I am being told that I have to add the java script tag to my page, along with a bunch of other coding. Is this correct? I thought the "action palette" would have taken care of adding all of that in the background.

Thanks for any help.
cody

Postby Nate Baldwin » 03/06/2007 @ 10:56

What browser are you having trouble with? I just tested in Firefox and the popup window is opening OK (no script error alerts). If you're using Explorer, check the target window name (in the Actions palette near the top). Explorer is picky about that. A window name is required, and it needs to be letters, numbers and underscores only - no spaces or special characters. This name won't be visible to the visitor, it's just an internal reference used by the script.

Any luck after assigning a target window name?
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby cody » 03/06/2007 @ 11:30

Hi Nate,

I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. I have trired Firefox, Opera, Camino, IE, Safari...

I cannot get any of them to work, either locally or after uploading to the web server. I'm sure it's something very simple i'm overlooking, I just can't figure out what it is!

I finally got the plain pop up window to work in CS2, but it would not work in firefox. Really strange. I'll have to check my settings. I tell ya', it's making me crazy!

I do not need to manually add any scripting commands to the pages that GoLive creates, correct? PopUp2 does all that in the background?

Also, if I am putting all my web pages in the www root folder, do I need to also put the script file in there too?

Thanks for your help!
cody

Postby Nate Baldwin » 03/06/2007 @ 12:07

cody wrote:I do not need to manually add any scripting commands to the pages that GoLive creates, correct? PopUp2 does all that in the background?

Also, if I am putting all my web pages in the www root folder, do I need to also put the script file in there too?

In GoLive, are you working within a site window? If so, it should be storing all the JavaScript for actions and rollovers and such in the GeneratedItems/CSScriptLib.js file at the top level of the site. Your page should be linked to that automatically. GoLive is supposed to keep that file updated as you add or edit actions, but it doesn't always do that (GoLive bugs, I suppose). That's where the last FAQ topic comes in - you sometimes need to force GoLive to update the script library. And you should always flatten and re-upload it after making changes to pages using actions.
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby cody » 03/06/2007 @ 13:10

Ok, I figured it out! Like I said, it was probably something very obvious. I was not setting a window size. I figured that, becaue the box was checked to let the user resize the window, it would default to some certain size. It looks like it's working good, and i'm a happy camper now!

Thanks
cody

Postby cody » 03/13/2007 @ 00:36

This program is frustrating me to no end. It was working the other day on my powerbook, now it will not work on the home Mac. I did everything exactly the same, including setting a window size, and nothing happens. IE keeps on telling me that there are errors on the page, adn that "MPOpenPopupWin2 is undefined." Ideas?
cody

Postby cody » 03/13/2007 @ 11:00

I took a suggestion from another post, and it is working, to a degree, now. I went to script library and did the rebuild thing, then I changed the option to write the script into the page. That at least made the pop up window work.

As for flattening the and re-uploading the CSScriptLib.js file, I do not seem to have that option available (Mac OS X).

I am not HTML/CSS/Java Script guru, but is there any real disadvantate to writing the script into the page instead of calling on the GeneratedItems file? To be honest, my website is primarly for sharing family photos, so only about 4 people ever look at it!

Thanks.
cody

Postby Nate Baldwin » 03/13/2007 @ 14:21

As for flattening the and re-uploading the CSScriptLib.js file, I do not seem to have that option available (Mac OS X).

It should be there if you're working within a site window. If you right click (control+click for 1 button Mac mouse) on the CSScriptLib.js file in the GeneratedItems folder, there should be the option to Update > Flatten Script Library?

I am not HTML/CSS/Java Script guru, but is there any real disadvantate to writing the script into the page instead of calling on the GeneratedItems file? To be honest, my website is primarly for sharing family photos, so only about 4 people ever look at it!

It's just a matter of efficiency and clean-looking source code. In your case, it probably wouldn't make much difference?
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby cody » 03/13/2007 @ 15:07

Thanks again Nate. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.
cody

Postby cody » 03/14/2007 @ 00:38

Ok, got it working. I was confused about which window the flatten script option was in. Sorry for all the posting. I'm new to GoLive and still trying to figure it all out!

Regards
cody

I'm in the same boat, but it'm still sinking

Postby curtkempton » 03/21/2007 @ 17:38

Ok... When I read this situation I was glad to see that the guy was having the same problems as me, but what's frustrating is that I didn't make the same mistake in creating a window size...

the page the link can be found on is: http://5starwindowcare.com/Services.html

the link to click is "Special rates for "Cut-Up" panes" at the top of the service offerings.

It keeps coming up with the URL: http://5starwindowcare.com/Services.html#

I am using firefox, but it isn't even working in Golive's preview screen.

I flattened the csscript stuff (I'm using CS2)

What am I missing?
curtkempton

Postby Nate Baldwin » 03/23/2007 @ 10:39

Looks like your GeneratedItems/CSScriptLib.js file is broken - there's not much code in there right now. I'd recommend deleting the CSScriptLib.js file from your site in GoLive, then go to Preferences > Script Library and hit the "Rebuild Library" button. Then, flatten and re-upload the new copy of GeneratedItems/CSScriptLib.js to the site and see if that fixes things?
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Go Live is not re-building the Folder

Postby curtkempton » 03/23/2007 @ 10:54

I deleted the CSScript.js file, but when I go to preferences to have Adobe rebuild the file, it doesn't do anything...

What did I miss this time?

Thanks for your help.
curtkempton

Postby Nate Baldwin » 03/23/2007 @ 11:05

You're working from within a site file, right? It's not building a new CSScriptLib.js file in the GeneratedItems folder? You can probably force that by going to any page that uses an action and temporarily change it to write code into page (Select the page properties icon at the top of the Layout View window and change it to write code into page in the HTML tab of the Inspector). Then change it back to using the library. Do you get a CSScriptLib.js file then?

I understand why GoLive uses a script library to keep the JavaScript out of the page, but I sure wish it was more reliable in its handling...
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

I GOT IT!!!

Postby curtkempton » 03/23/2007 @ 11:14

To be honest, I can't say what did it, but when I brought CSScriptLib.js back from the trash can, I messed with it and ctrl+clicked on it I found the "settings" command and after doing it 6 or 7 times (persistence is one of my strong points...hahaha) I finally got it!

This action will now be showing up ALL OVER my site! Thanks for the help. I would never have guessed that I'd have to (or be able to) fix Java Script!
curtkempton

Postby curtkempton » 03/23/2007 @ 11:16

Nate Baldwin wrote:I understand why GoLive uses a script library to keep the JavaScript out of the page, but I sure wish it was more reliable in its handling...

Yeah, now that I'm getting a taste for it I see what you mean. It's brutal to ask the program to do something and sometimes it does it, and sometimes it doesn't.

When I make changes to pages, about 1 in 3 times it will show a broken link to the CSScriptLib.js file and I have to re-link it. Inconsistency drives me nuts...
curtkempton

Postby dvanderplaats » 04/13/2007 @ 21:13

Hi guys:L

I seem to be running into a similar problem on my site. If you go to http://www.roselandstair.com/stylesportfolio.shtml, you can click on different pages. On the linked pages, I have Popup lite actions for the pictures to open up into larger versions. Now, the links go straight to the same page, but with a # sign at the end of the URL. My client says this only happens on certain pages on his PC. I get that error on every page on my PC. It does not show up at all on my Mac. I am running GoLive 6.01. Any help is greatly appreciated!
dvanderplaats

Postby curtkempton » 04/15/2007 @ 10:24

I don't know if it will help you at all, but like I said in the above post, I was able to overcome the problem by ctrl+clicking the CSScriptlib.js file and clicking settings in the menu. Once I did that, I was able to mess around in the settings with updating the file to be able to take action. It's such a great action, but for some reason it seems to be a little sluggish in "taking" to the site. Once I got it to work, it has worked everywhere and given me no problems since...

BTW- Beautiful site & beautiful staircases!!!
curtkempton

Postby dvanderplaats » 04/15/2007 @ 14:46

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I tried that and when I control-click I get no option for the settings. I tried finding an option in the site settings section, and rebuilt the script library. I will see if that works. Please let me know if you have any other questions, and thank you very much for your compliments on the site.
dvanderplaats

Postby Nate Baldwin » 04/17/2007 @ 10:13

Hi - are you using GoLive 4 like the page code says, or is that just what it was started in? The code is pretty garbled in that page (multiple head and body sections, more than one HTML parent, etc.). You may need to get the syntax errors worked out before GoLive can understand what it's supposed to be doing with the action code.
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby dvanderplaats » 04/17/2007 @ 21:33

Okay, I have cleaned up the code across the site quite a bit. Could you take a look at those pages again? Tell me if you see anything, if it's still garbled? Thanks!
dvanderplaats

Postby Nate Baldwin » 04/18/2007 @ 10:11

I don't see the code from the action anywhere in the document's head section. What version of GoLive are you using? Do you get the same problem when using the action on a new blank page?
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Postby dvanderplaats » 04/25/2007 @ 19:35

Okay, this is all very odd. I created an entirely new page on which the action works fine. I then used that page to create new pages, but now those pages don't load the popup properly - aarrgghhh. I am using GoLive 6.01. I am using server-side includes, which explains the 'include virtual' commands. Is that what's screwing up the header?

Thank you very much for your help Nate. I really appreciate it!
dvanderplaats

Postby Nate Baldwin » 04/26/2007 @ 08:38

How are you creating the new pages from the one that's working? If you're using SSI to include the whole page inside another page, then it's probably not going to work, but hard to tell what you're doing. Any details you can share?
Nate Baldwin
Site Admin

Return to GoLive Actions and Tutorials